Thursday, 27 March 2014

a staircase tale #2


Some of you may remember the first 'staircase tale' blog post from way back when in February 2010 ... incidentally my second most visited post with 1,520 views!

There have been a few changes to the cottage since then, simple cosmetic tweaks really; fresh paint colours, new curtains etc.  The most recent change is that we now have wallpaper, and patterned wallpaper at that.  Did I actually say we now have wallpaper?  I've always thought of wallpaper as being a tad fussy and, suffering from pattern phobia as I do (!) they tend to scare me a little (a fear no doubt caused by growing up in the 60s and 70s; living in a house with clashing yellow, orange and green involving incomprehensible swirly/geometric patterns on everything, from carpets and wallpaper to china).  Of course the 70s is all very much in vogue at the moment and super trendy. 

But I digress ... back to the cottage.

The wallpaper I have chosen (well actually it chose me) is Oriental Garden Duck Egg Floral by Laura Ashley.  By the way take note of the 'I' as in -  'just me'.   Oh no, the OH wanted nothing to do with wallpaper and the sticky subject of wallpapering.  Be it on the my own head (quite literally)!  So, the lovely Simon stepped into the breach and balancing artfully on a very precarious staircase he has succeeded in wallpapering our upstairs stairwell most admirably.







I just have to re-paint the stairs to finish it off.  This will be their third incarnation in almost as many years.  They were, as in my original post, painted in Farrow & Ball Clunch with a 'runner' in Mouses's Back, a very popular choice with many of you as I recall.   Then last year I painted them in Pigeon, also by F&B.  



They looked great until I painted the wall in the Duck Egg Blue, but as you can see these two colours do not do each other justice.  So  it will be a return to Clunch for the entire staircase, treads and risers; the lot.

 Keep it simple, this wallpaper deserves the limelight.

What do you think?  A thumbs up for wallpaper in the cottage?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

30 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men do seem to have an aversion to all things concerning wall paper - hence the 'I' is me too if you get what I mean. I love your new wall paper. The colours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Duck Egg Blue is a real departure for me Molly, as I have used mostly greys and off-whites in this cottage. The blue is very spring-like I think.

      Delete
  3. the wall paper is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like you I veered away from wallpaper, but then I had a small boxroom bedroom to decorate. I also chose a Laura Ashley duck egg blue design - whose name fails me - and the room was transformed. It is definitely a very girly room, but as I have two daughters who visit, I don't feel too worried about the femininity. Your stairwell looks very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite impressed with Laura Ashley wallpaper, its very good quality for the price. Your daughters must love staying in their stylish and feminine room Lynn - duck egg blue is perfect.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful paper, and well done. In my extreme youth I papered a stairwell, including ceiling. It involved a plank on two ladders and my brother handing up sheets of booked paper. We think back and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds precarious Joanne. I get dizzy with heights so definitely a job for the professionals !

      Delete
  6. Your wallpaper is very pretty - such a soft and restful blue. I know what you mean about patterned wallpaper - my childhood room had diamond shaped trellis with green leaves and yellow roses. Not good when I was off school ill in bed - it used to make me feel dizzy and I used to look for faces in it too:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely LOVE it - I never thought I'd say this after being made to wear a horrible flowery skirt from there as a kid, but Laura Ashley rock the decor world.
    My best friend has just painted her beautiful new Edwardian house in Farrow and Ball - including the delightful Pigeon...with Laura Ashley curtains and bedding.
    Would love to see more interior Jeanne (i'm nosey!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friend's house sounds wonderful!

      I'm always a little reticent to do interior posts, although I know readers love 'em! For your delectation, I will of course see what I can do... :-)

      Delete
  8. I like it because it adds interest in the small space. The blue is a good color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, yes, I love it... because we used to have it in our last house - a high ceiling Victorian hallway - and it was stunning. Might have been a darker blue and their original version of the pattern but I approve .. despite being phobic about wallpaper these days, this reminds me of how lovely it can be in the right setting. Very classy. So 'you'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley *blush*.

      How wonderful for us to have a wallpaper in common:-

      I really love its pearlescence, which may not come across fully in my photos.....

      Delete
  10. It's lovely wallpaper and looks gorgeous on your stairs. I've never been brave enough to have wallpaper, I too suffer from 'pattern issues'! My lounge is still not finished, but I fully expect it to be done by the end of the week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su, its good to know I'm not the only one!. Hope all goes well with your lounge ....

      Delete
  11. I love it!!!!! It looks beautiful Jeanne! I love wall paper and I would have it everywhere if I could, but my husband is not sold on the subject because he knows how many times ! change my mind. He too, is the one who has to hang it. I laughed about the mention of the papers we grew up with. Oh my, were they ever ugly. We had big orange flowers in the kitchen :)
    I hope you are enjoying your weekend dear.
    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you June! Oh, those big orange flowers sound very familiar ...

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous - love it. Have a nice start in the week ahead, greetings from Inge

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and for indulging me in my musings. I enjoy reading your comments and will reply, time and tide permitting, on this page... at some juncture ... which may be several days later ... oh to have more time to blog!

I love to visit you in return also.

Jeanne
x

LinkWithin

LinkWithin