Wednesday, 29 January 2014

making strides

The other day I was making my way to the post box in the village when I bumped into an elderly neighbour.

'Don't you write your blog anymore?  It seems to be stuck at Christmas 2012.'  He said.

I was momentarily taken aback by this, I had no idea that Mr R even knew my blog existed, let alone actually read it.  I stopped in my tracks.  I scratched my head, you know in that vacant sightly worrying sort of way; like when you go upstairs with the greatest intent only to stand on the landing thinking ... but I digress.

'Erm, well ... you know ... one thing and another cropped up and there never seems to be enough time, what with work and everything.' I replied hesitantly.  No doubt looking extremely astonished at his opening gambit.

'Well I miss it, and I'm sure your other readers do too; those friends in that little box, I'm sure they miss reading about your garden and such like.'

I could feel myself blushing, or at least having a hot flush, and blurted out modestly.

'Well, you know, there are absolutely loads of blogs out there; hundreds, thousands really, there are no end of blogs you can follow.'

Silence.

'So, do you follow many blogs?' I asked tentatively.  He gave me a quizzical look.

'Well what I meant to say is; do you read many?  Blogs I mean?'

'Oh no, just yours.  I can't be bothered with all that social networking stuff.  No, my daughter told me that a friend reads your blog and it turns out that you live in the village.  I was curious.  Of course I recognised it was you from those pictures of your garden, you know from when you had your Open Garden a few years ago.  Now, that's something else you really must get cracking on with again.'

'Yes, I suppose ....' I trailed off depressingly.

'Anyway cheerio! must fly, the bus will be along in a mo.'

As we waved each other off in a flurry of goodbyes I thought about what Mr R had said.  I couldn't help feeling rather chuffed.  I'm a writer I thought.  I have an audience.  Someone in the village actually reads my blog.  I know who the daughter's friend is, she's a colleague of mine with whom I work occasionally.  I'd told her about my blog yonks ago when I was eager for readers to come on board.

Walking home, I continued to mull over the conversation.  I thought about how I had left my blog, sort of in the lurch really.  Just upped sticks and left it, with hardly a backwards glance.  Left to float alone and orphaned in cyberspace ... well you get the picture.  The Christmas Goodbye post in 2012 had indeed been very short and to the point (well why dilly dally I had thought at the time).

Of course, I have to confess that as some of you may know, many months later I flirted and toyed with a new blog.  But it was never the same.  It just didn't feel right.  I struggled with inspiration for posts and realised that somehow it just didn't have my voice.  I've read about the importance of voice, or the lack of it, somewhere or other.

Anyway, some techie glitch had got hold of the aforesaid impostor blog and it simply disappeared, in a puff of disassembled words.  I metaphorically wiped my hands and didn't feel the least bit sad.  Then work became manic for a while, as it often does and the whole blog issue got shoved to the back of my mind ... until ... well, back to the story ...

I posted the two letters (bills of course) and the two birthday cards (belated of course) and hurried home in great haste to look once again upon this pretty page.  I felt my blog mojo rising.  Yep, it was still here, looking somewhat old-fashioned, quite sweet really.  My blog roll was still here (of course), familiar blogs with new posts loading daily, weekly, as it ever was.  A year had gone by, children have grown, people have moved house and changed jobs, undertaken new ventures; there have been successes and disappointments, books have been read, holidays taken and sad losses endured.   Just as in our real lives, the virtual life of the blogging community continues to roll along, inspiring and generously documenting lives and goals. 

I began to type.

The virtual door to Cottage Garden will once again be open for business quite soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

45 comments:

  1. Oh that's great news! Welcome back I've missed you and will be looking forward to seeing you here again. It's rather like when a friend moves away and loses touch but then suddenly they are back living nearby once more isn't it? Great news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This little space feels like home already Jane, especially as you are often the first to comment on any of my posts. Thank you for the welcome and I look forward to popping over to see you!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back.Look forward to reading your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to see you pop up in my blog reading box again! Welcome back:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie, it certainly feels like a fresh start. I look forward to reading about your adventures. Corners of my Mind has always been my favourite go-to blog for ideas on places to visit!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness I am so happy you are back!!! You are the kind of writer that I like to read and even this post is written so well that at the end I had a tear in my eye. I took a year off and have really only been back since August. I posted about once amonth during that year so people did not really notice that I was gone. But I did not visit blogs or interact, comment, communicate ecaept with those inquiring. Sometimes we just need a break. I akways think of your gardens whike puttering around in mine. xxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerrie for your kind words. It seems a lot of bloggers have stepped back from their blogs over the past year. It's important to have a break I think, and to come back revitalised. Sea Cottage is a place of quiet serenity and inspiration for me. I look forward to visiting you there.

      Delete
  5. Sorry for the misspells i am on my iphone and the keys are so small :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jeanne,
    I was so glad about your sign of life in the form of your new blog a few month ago, but now I am even happier to see that you will continue with your Tales from a Cottage Garden. Welcome back!
    I enjoyed reading this post very much!

    Liebe Grüße, Bärbel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbel for your warm welcome. I had fun writing this post and it does feel good to be back!

      Let's hope for an early spring so we can begin gardening!

      Delete
  7. Welcome back...we missed you!
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! So glad you've decided to come back to the blogging circle Jeanne. Your neighbour was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Molly. He's pretty astute is Mr R!

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you're back! Looking forward to reading your blog again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, and welcome to my blog!

      I hope your back problems are on the mend.

      Delete
  10. Nice to see you back Jeanne, but where is your beautiful cottage header? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to catching up with life near the Tor! Hope you're not too affected by all this horrendous flooding.

      Do you know Kath, I'm not sure that the blog had a header for a while, but it seems like a good idea. Rest assured there will always be some pretty photos popping up somewhere:-)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie and wecome to my Blog.

      You have a new follower and I've added you to my blog roll too if that's OK.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you Helsie. I look forward to reading more of your antipodean (and indeed further afield) adventures!

      Delete
  13. Welcome back, I like reading blogs by people who the UK

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jeanne, welcome back, looking forward to seeing you here again. And thanks for your heartfelt words on my blog about my dear, Pasha, cyber hugs help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerianna. I look forward to catching up with life in the forest, albeit sans Pasha. He will be sorely missed.

      Delete
  15. Hello Jeanne

    Well I've found your blog at the right time!
    You have created a beautiful blog and I'm so happy to meet you and become part of your blogging world.
    I found you via Busy Busy Beejays blog.

    You write beautifully - a rare gift so please keep it up.
    I loved your conversation with Mr R... that's so sweet of him!

    We visited Suffolk on our last trip to the UK and met up with a dear friend who was working in Lavenham at the time!
    We fell in love with this beautiful village - we had lunch at the Swan.
    In fact I love everything about England and know I could quite happily settle into village life.

    I would love you to pop over and visit me where I have shared something of "me" as part of "Grow Your Blog" party.
    I have a Giveaway of a Vintage fabric and lace Collage to celebrate Vicki's party so please leave me a comment on that post to be in the draw!

    I'm following you and I'll be back with my cup of coffee in hand, once this party winds down! I can see we have lots to share!

    Warm hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very kind words Shane and welcome to Cottage Garden! Lavenham is one of our favourite places for a Sunday drive, and The Swan is great! How amazing!

      I look forward to popping over to your beautifully named blog!

      Delete
  16. Welcome back, it seems like only yesterday you were here. It does no harm to have breaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right Cait and my goodness time certainly does fly:-) Must catch up on your beautiful poetry.

      Delete
  17. Hi, welcome back. I am eager to hear from you again. Many thanks to your neighbor - he is a gem! Have good start in the week, Inge, your reader from Germany:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a delight to see you back here Jeanne! Lovely little story too, made me chuckle. My blog has changed name, but let's say it's aving a long slumber right now.....who knows, maybe there will be an awakening!
    Diana x (ex pebbledash!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the new name! Great to see you Diana - yes please, please to a re-awakening. It seems a lot of us have been slumbering over the past year...:-) Love to you and that gorgeous boy Walter. xxx

      Delete
  19. I logged into my blog today and there on my sidebar blogroll you were Jeanne. I thought...I think blogger is doing something a little strange today because Jeanne doesn't have a blog anymore and I thought it wasn't updating properly but I clicked on the link anyway and was so delighted to see that truly it was you again. Tell your neighbor thank you from me for his intervening :)
    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you June, yes, it's been a long time and I'm just getting back in the swing of things here in blogland! I'm looking forward to reading about your lovely crafting and garden adventures this spring. See you soon! x

      Delete
  20. So glad that you restarted your blog, and how lovely that you had a reader in the village. He's right, readers do miss blogs when they go silent, and I had only just found yours when it did. I love that area of the country and we have begun to explore it when we visit my mother in law at Ixworth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Lynn and thank you for coming back after a year!

      If you visit Ixworth then you must stop by Wyken Vineyards. Lovely shop, restaurant/cafe and walks in the grounds of their Elizabethan house. Sweet little farmer's market on Saturday morning too.

      I bet you've been already ....!

      Delete
    2. Yes, we did visit Wyken last year on a hot day in May. Lovely lunch, great shopping, and many photos taken of the gardens.

      Delete
  21. Thank goodness for Mr R!!! - Welcome back Jeanne! - I've really missed you. Looking forward to some glorious garden shots and poetry this spring.
    Anne.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your new look blog Anne!

      Yes, hopefully there will be some garden visits to document this year and some developments closer to home too. x

      Delete
  22. Hey there!
    I was following - reading ;) your blog. And then now and then I also looked into your blog and it was always this christmas post there :)
    I am really happy you decided to make a blog world prettier again.
    Wishing you all the best, Irena from Slovenia.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and for indulging me in my musings. I enjoy reading your comments and will reply, time and tide permitting, on this page... at some juncture ... which may be several days later ... oh to have more time to blog!

I love to visit you in return also.

Jeanne
x

LinkWithin

LinkWithin