Monday, 19 March 2012

welcome Spring ..... with a sonnet!



From you have I been absent in the spring,
When proud-pied April dress'd in all his trim
Hath put a spirit of youth in every thing.
That heavy Saturn laugh'd and leap'd with him.
Yet nor the lays of birds nor the sweet smell
Of different flowers in odour and in hue
Could make me any summer's story tell,
Or from their proud lap pluck them where they grew;
Nor did I wonder at the lily's white,
Nor praise the deep vermilion in the rose;
They were but sweet, but figures of delight,
Drawn after you, you pattern of all those.
Yet seem'd it winter still, and, you away,
As with your shadow I with these did play."

~ William Shakespeare, Sonnet 98 ~

Spring is officially just days away and with it comes my most favourite time of year.  I love spring.  As the days lengthen and the level of light increases so does my contentment with the world.  Not to put too fine a point on it I simply feel happier.  The garden is budding and geening up beautifully with splashes of colour in the form of delightful spring bulbs (I particularly love the blue and pink hyacinths that are popping up everywhere), birds are singing and the soil is coming to life after a winter hibernation.  I dug over the raised beds at the weekend, adding some fresh top soil and plenty of well-rotted manure in readiness for sowing my vegetable seeds in early April.  I generally sow direct in the ground because I don't have room for a greenhouse in my small garden, and to be honest I simply cannot be bothered with seed trays and potting on and all that pricking out palaver.  I had great success with most things last year so I will just carry on as I have done before and hope for the best!  However this year we have the added challenge of a prolonged drought situation here in eastern England and it will be a testing time nurturing those thirsty veggies whilst they establish, and avoiding their bolting during the summer months.  Without regular rain my water-butt supply will not last very long at all.

Anyway its good to be back and I promise not to stay away too long this time.   "Bloggers block" had struck again and it all felt ever so slightly self-conscious.  I wonder if anyone else feels this way from time to time?  I simply kept away from blogging, resurfacing at the beginning of February with a snowy post.  Another reminder of how quickly the seasons turn with the onset of Spring once again offering me a wake-up call.   I'm now brimming with ideas for blog posts and the Monday poem will once again return to this blog.  I had over-extended myself with two blogs, so, 'A Poem for all Seasons' will be gently put to bed!   Apologies to followers of that blog but be sure to check by here each Monday instead.

I must just mention this lovely film which the OH and I went to see a week or so ago.  If you haven't seen it yet, I urge you to do so.  The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel been playing at our local Abbeygate Picturehouse to packed-out audiences - we had to book tickets after being turned away twice, something we haven't had to do for some time.  Life-affirming and great fun - try not to miss it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

16 comments:

  1. Hello Jeanne:
    Welcome, welcome back. How we have missed so very much your delightful 'tales' of life in the country interspersed, as they always are, with literature, film, music and all things cultural and life enriching.

    But we quite understand, as we are certain does everyone, the reasons for any absence and quite simply there is not, on occasion, enough time for everything and something has to go. Whatever, to blog must, we feel, always be a pleasure and must never become a chore.

    That said, we too are enjoying the most perfect sun filled spring days. Isn't it wonderful?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so lovely to read you here again Jeanne. Welcome back. Today was joyful in our garden. I know exactly what you mean. The Spring really is here and it's fantastic. I'm so looking forward to the Monday poem again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you back! Spring is my favourite season too - so full of hope and expectation. A friend of mine went to see that film there, she really enjoyed it too.

    Hasn't it been gloriously sunny today - here's to more wonderful spring days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back !!....and please stay long this tome......it is alomost spring just what we need all......enjoy a sunny week darling...love from me...xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne, good to have you back. Spring - almost here - brilliant!! I've had two solid days weeding, but so nice to see where I've been. Marigold Hotel looks a great film - hope it comes round to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad to have you back Jeanne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hellooo! Really lovely to see you back Jeanne. And I love the first line of the sonnet. Looking forward to seeing another beautiful veg patch over the coming year!
    I totally understand what you mean about the 'self conscious' thing, but I think a blog is a diary of your garden/life for you to look back on too, so don't edit too much out.
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jeanne!

    SO nice to see you again!!! Been 'away' myself for quite some time - so TOTALLY understand where you are coming from!! And you are right, with spring just around the corner it seems to be the perfect time to start afresh!!!

    See you soon!!

    Love


    Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so nice to see you, again!!! =] and, what perfect timing! Yesterday and today, I've been working in my garden. This is an absolute first for March. Usually, we're still buried deep.

    I know very well what you mean about blogger's block. Even worse is when i get commenter's block - I feel absolutely frozen with my words - even when I'm appreciating the sentiments and feelings and thoughts of others - I can't spit out a response. SIGH!

    It's lovely to hear from you. I have vowed that my next post will be about my garden, last year, and my goal is to post this week. =]

    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning dear Jeanne,

    so good to hear you and sooo good that spring is here and i feel exactly the same...I feel better now...Winter this year was very dark for me and now it feels like "living again " you know what I mean ?
    Was out in the garden for the last days..love this time of the year, too.

    So , have a beautiful time outside and best wishes to you,

    Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Jeanne and lovely to see you back. I think we all get bloggers block at times but I have blogged so long now that I just accept it, move away and come back when I'm ready. Generally I miss it eventually, especially when I read others' posts. Look forward to reading more lovely lady xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, dear Jeanne-

    I really feel with you. Yesterday I recognized the first tender green leaves are coming and some blossoms. Wonderful :-)

    Don´t be worry- I´ve been blog-blocked for much longer time- it´s YOUR life and when you need it- live it :-)

    Life is outside of this blog. But I am always happy, when you pamper us with your poems...

    Enjoy your springfeeling-

    a big hug- Ines♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jeanne,

    We all need to lay low for awhile to get new ideas. Winter seems so long when writing a garden blog. We have been in the eighties here and everything spring is bloomiong.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to see you back Jeanne so full of the joys of spring. Hope that you get some much needed rain over the next few months. Looking forward to the return of your always enjoyable Monday muses - I've missed them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy spring to you!
    Happy autumn to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have such a lovely way with words, and I thoroughly enjoy reading them xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and for indulging me in my musings. I enjoy reading your comments and will reply, time and tide permitting, on this page... at some juncture ... which may be several days later ... oh to have more time to blog!

I love to visit you in return also.

Jeanne
x

LinkWithin

LinkWithin